Monday, February 20, 2012

Owen - 3 weeks old

My baby boy is 3 weeks old today!! 

My sister, Jeanette, has been visiting for the last week, so things have been going well. I love having time to just sit, cuddle, watch and just get to know my new baby. But more on my sister's visit in another post.

 The girls are loving their brother. Sometimes, i think they just love his toys, and getting their picture taken.. but most of the time, I can tell that they genuinely think their little brother is pretty cool.


In real life, we're all pretty certain that he's filling out and growing up, but in pictures, its a bit harder to tell (although that could be my spectacular photography skills!)
(top 2 pictures are at 2 weeks old,
 bottom 2 pictures are at 3 weeks old)
I've been spoiling Owen a bit. Letting him fall asleep in my arms, feeding him as often as he wants.. but.. he's only small once, and while I still have help... I can :)  However, the reality that I'm soon going to have to manage a household and 3 small kids, is slowly sinking in. So, in the last few days I've started to have him nap in his crib/cot more often, I've started to put him down drowsy but awake, and I'm aiming to only feed in the 2 1/2- 3 hour time span. I'm feeling a bit of pressure (self-imposed) to figure out and write down a "schedule" that would work for the girls and him, but as of yet, I haven't done it. 

Owen takes a bottle well. I try to let someone give him a bottle once every day or 2. While they do that, I pump. Sometimes, I time it so I can get an extra hour of sleep. It gives me the added freedom that I can go out with the girls and leave someone at home with Owen knowing that if he does wake up hungry, there's food to give him. 

So far, Owen has been gaining weight well. In his first 5 days he lost 160 grams putting him to an even 3kg. In the 5 days following that, he gained 250g, and in the next week he gained 300 more grams. Which puts him at 3.550 Kg or 7 lbs 13oz as of 5 days ago. It'll be interesting to see how much more he weighs this week. 

He's had a wee bit of a snotty nose for the past week and half. I even bought a nose aspirator - although I'm too chicken to use it. The real unfortunate part is that he's only really plugged up at night. So, all night long, while he's lying in his cot in our room, he grunts and snuffles like a little pig. He'd probably actually sleep for stretches of time if its weren't for his grunting waking me up. But if I'm awake and he's grunting, I might as well feed him!! 

So, that's Owen Tjibbe as of today!


No comments:

Post a Comment