Thursday, January 26, 2012

Brilliant Change table Solution!!

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant with baby #3. So, we've been busy finishing up some renovations, selling small cars and buying big cars and getting stuff out of storage to get ready for this new baby!!

Thankfully, I've kept most things from when the girls were little so we don't need to buy a lot. However, one bigger item we need - besides a bigger car - is a new set of drawers (a dresser) for the baby's clothes and things. And, unfortunately, about a year ago, we sold my mammoth but perfect change table because it was just taking up WAY too much room. Anyway, so a while back I came up with the brilliant plan to find a dresser that was the same height as a change table and also deep enough to put my change pad on top. This should not have been a difficult thing.

Sidebar: This is what annoys me most about living where I do. I do not know why, but it seems that time after time, I have an idea that I know I've seen a gazillion places before, but when I want to make it happen in my home - well.. its only available in the big centers, or it costs a million dollars more than it should, or its only available overseas.

So, I started by shopping at the local shops. One local furniture store had the perfect dresser. However, it cost $450. Have I mentioned that we're poor?? So, I took the measurements from that dresser and began to scour TradeMe (the second hand website). Not very many around. And (as usual) most were in the big centers. So, after nearly 4 weeks of searching to no avail, a new place was devised.

It came about as I was making the bed in the baby's cot (crib). I was standing over it thinking, "I love this cot. Its such a great height." Then  - light bulb moment - "pity I can't change the baby on here."  Within moments (hours, actually) the husband had taken the change mat down from its storage space and placed it perpendicularly over the cot. Perfect!

My cot (crib) that my father-in-law made before Kelsey was born. Pardon the teeth marks - one of my children happens to be part beaver - must be her Canadian heritage!
So, with Morgan's doll demonstrating, here's how I envisioned my new  "change table"

So, Marco disappeared to his garage. Noises could be heard. And within 2 hours, he called for me to "come see!".

2 wooden boards with slats made up from the cut off slates from one of our new wooden blinds and a few tacks!! Genius! I added the velcro strips and VOILA!!

Here's the side view so you can see how it "attaches" to the crib (cot)

The whole thing is VERY lightweight to boot!! The only thing we're unsure of at the moment is how much weight it will hold. However, we put a sack of potatoes on, so we know it'll hold at least 4.5 kg - good enough for a newborn!! 

Oh, and the dresser issue was solved easily by bringing out one of 2 sets of small drawers that we were storing in the garage (and hoping to do up and sell sometime). So, we've pulled out the bigger of 2 drawers and Marco is currently in the garage sanding it down, putting new handles on it, and in 2 days - after a thorough oiling  - I'll get it in my house ready for baby clothes!! Woohoo!! (pictures to follow soon)





No comments:

Post a Comment