Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic Fever

2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics has hit our home - BIG TIME! I was completely stoked to find out that a local tv station was actually going to air it this year - 4 years ago I was shocked at how little kiwis in general cared about the winter olympics. Even now, most people barely know its on.. but one tv channel has been my lifesaver and is airing coverage from 5:30am until 6 or 7 pm every day! Its awesome. Ok.. sometimes their choices of what to show are a little off.. but.. they're trying to sell their paid stations too.. so i can't blame them too much. (I did write a letter though.. )
We have a unique situation in our home where we can choose from several countries, when deciding who to cheer for. I'm quite obviously smitten for Canada, but I feel some small tug to let my family cheer for the country we live in.. so we gotta cheer for those kiwis - even though the chance of getting a metal is null and void. And the one thing Marco and I have in common is our dutchnewss.. plus they're pretty good at speed skating.. So.. there's the 3 countries we cheer for.

However.. just to show the world who I'm cheering for.. I did this while Marco was outside one day..  Note the little face peering out the corner.. :)

Anyway.. I'm having a ball with the Olympics. We do Olympic crafts.. wave flags, shout at the TV (which is currently on ALL DAY LONG - I'm probably destroying my kids brains).
Our normal routine is completely gone. Its gotten so bad that I've been putting off having people around for coffee 'cause  I know I'd have to turn off the TV. (true friends wouldn't make me turn off the TV). I get to teach Kelsey what snow is, what skating is, what skiing is... she doesn't really grasp it.. but we're having fun.
We've even created our own little medal board now and I'll have little medal ceremonies because well.. I'm a geek.
Please note the obvious lack of medals under the kiwi flag - losers. Ooh.. and one more gold to be put up tomorrow for Canada.

1 comment: